|Sharon Galzarano, RPh., in front of the FamilyWize information center |
at Roosevelt Field Mall, Long Island, NY.
For many people, though, prescription medications are much more important than buying a pair of jeans. While it’s okay to wear the same pair of jeans until you can afford another, this is not the case for medications. Several studies have shown that many people skip filling prescriptions in order to save money, and this has a long-term effect on one’s health and is actually more costly in the long run. How much more costly? One Health Affairs study published in 2011 claims that for every dollar spent on high blood pressure medication, for example, a patient will save an additional $10 on future hospitalizations, tests, or operations. In other words, by taking all medications correctly now, a patient will have a greater chance of avoiding expensive procedures in the future.
On October 19, 20 and 21, the FamilyWize marketing team distributed 1,800 prescription discount cards to mall shoppers. We also gave out Script Your Future wallet medicine reminder cards, pillboxes, reusable grocery bags, and Halloween glow sticks.
|Among other things, our giveaways included the |
NCL's wallet medicine reminder cards.
Most importantly, we offered visitors the opportunity to “Ask the Pharmacist,” Sharon Galzarano, RPh, questions about health and medications. We spoke to 232 of these visitors in greater detail, and here’s what we learned from them over the three days:
- 67% are personally concerned or impacted by the cost of prescription drugs;
- An additional 10%, while not personally impacted, have family members or friends without adequate prescription coverage;
- Several visitors admitted to regularly skipping doses or re-filling prescriptions to save money;
- Most visitors were extremely impressed with the wallet medicine reminder cards provided by the National Consumers League;
- 100% of children really, really love glow sticks!
|Nora speaks to a visitor about the benefits of the FamilyWize card and the |
other tools we provide to increase wellness.
FamiliyWize Marketing Team Member and Contributing Writer