|Healthy and sweet there are many types of apples!|
First things first… how many calories are in an apple? A medium apple has about 95 calories and counts as one cup of fruit.
What about the health benefits of apples… Is it true that an apple a day keeps the doctor away? Here are a few of the nutrition facts:
- Vitamin C – one of the benefits of apples is immune boosting Vitamin C. Apples provide about 14% of the daily recommended value.
- Pectin – a fiber that helps lower blood pressure and sugar levels.
- Boron -- a nutrient that supports strong bones and a healthy brain.
- Quercetin-- a powerful antioxidant with anti-histamine effects. This may be a great way to curb allergy symptoms. Or at least keep those sneezes to a minimum. I don’t think it is an accident that apples come into season at the same time as allergies.
- Phytonutrients – plant chemicals that help prevent disease. Apples are full of them. They include vitamins A, E, and beta carotene. They may have an effect on overall health and may reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes and asthma.
As fresh fruits go, those are some impressive apple nutrition facts! I think it's safe to say that an apple a day might just keep the doctor away.
It turns out there are about 7,500 varieties of apples. That's a lot of choice! You're bound to find at least one that will satisfy your tastes. Here is a list of just a few of the top favorites, just in case there is one you haven’t tried yet. These varieties are grown here in Washington state. Since we are known for our apples, I thought this would be a good place to start:
- Jonathan - sweet and juicy with a tang
- Gala - sweet and crunchy
- Fuji - mildly sweet, juicy and crisp
- Braeburn - firm texture, sweet with a hint of tart
- Granny Smith - firm and smooth with a tart flavor
- Red and Golden Delicious - firm and crisp can be very sweet or mildly sweet, depending on the climate where they are grown
- Honey Crisp - very crispy and juicy, flavor ranges from mildly sweet to very sweet
- Cameo - a crisp crunch with a deep juicy flavor
- Cripps Pink - firm and crisp, they have a tangy-tart sweet flavor
|Easy does it with this easy apple dessert.|
Juicing apples is a great way to get the most from all the nutrients available in this family favorite. Since finding easy apple dessert recipes is well, easy, I thought I would include a juice recipe that my husband and grandson really love! So pull out that juicer you bought but never use, because this is one you'll want to make for yourself!