1. The Grass-fed flavor difference
Not surprisingly, there is a distinct taste difference between the burgers or steaks that come from grass-fed cattle. Most describe the flavor of meat from grass-fed cattle as richer or more beef-like.
This may be reason enough for you to consider trying grass-fed alternatives, but the remaining six health-related reasons are even more compelling.
2. Grass-fed beef is lower in calories
3. Grass-fed meat has less saturated fat content
4. Grass-fed beef has more heart-healthy fats
5. Grass-fed beef has higher amounts of CLA
But you don't have to buy CLA in a bottle. It occurs naturally in some dairy products and meats, including beef. However, grass-fed beef weighs in with nearly five times the amount of CLA's as a grain fed.
6. Grass-fed beef has more vitamin E
7. Grass-fed beef is potentially safer
- When you buy beef labeled as grass-fed, the cattle have not been given hormones nor antibiotics – both standard in modern grain-fed cattle raising, and both of which can show up in the meat you eat.
- You have less need to worry about mad cow disease. To date, mad cow disease has never been discovered in any grass-fed cattle.
- You are also less likely to encounter E. coli bacteria – which has been found in some grain-fed cattle, but rarely in grass-fed cattle.
Grass-fed – cost vs. value