Five ways to encourage dental health at home
Tip #1 – get the Super-Smile poster
Get the large 11"x17" Tabloid Sized poster:
|Download Children's Poster||Download Teen Poster|
You can get both of these posters in a standard 8”x12” letter size as well:
Tip #2 – Do activities geared toward great teeth and gums
- 2MIN 2X Coloring Sheet (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Sets of Two Activity Sheet (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Story (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Crossword Puzzle (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Decoder (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Certificate (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Nutrition Match (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Shirt Logo (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Puppet Cutout (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Super Smile Reminder (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
- Tooth Anatomy (English PDF) (Spanish PDF)
Tip #3 – Reveal those missed spots!
To make the magic happen, add three or four drops of the food color into a few tablespoons of water in a paper cup. Have your child swish the colored water around in his or her mouth for about ten seconds and then spit it out into the sink. Ask your child to use the magnifying mirror to study their teeth and gums; the red food coloring makes the areas with plaque show up as bright red!
The education continues when your child brushes afterward with toothpaste and a new toothbrush. If they miss any spots, they’ll know right away, as the red coloring highlights the missed sections. Have your child brush again until they’ve successfully removed most of the red food coloring.
Your child will likely never brush the same way again.
Tip #4 – Do a fun science experiment on tooth decay
First, make a one-inch deep hole in an apple. Put it in a paper bag and set it aside for about three days. Take a knife and cut through the apple through where you made the hole. Show your children the decay that formed around the hole. This is a good way to demonstrate shows how decay can also spread through a tooth.
Explain that good oral hygiene, including brushing at least twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and flossing daily is important to stop tooth decay from spreading.
More ways to promote dental health at home