How can your diet make you happier?
What are the building blocks of eating for happiness?
• Serotonin is essential for balancing your mood. Lack of serotonin may cause anxiety, panic, anger, and pessimism. Experts suggest that consuming tryptophan-rich foods like milk can help you obtain necessary amounts of this important building block.
• Catecholamines are hormones made by your adrenal glands, which sit on top of your kidneys. They support alertness, energy, concentration, and drive.
• Gaba is a brain chemical related to a sense of calm and relaxation. Prolonged stress or a diet lacking in nutrients may cause a gaba deficiency. If you need more gaba in your life, consume more shrimp, oolong tea, cherry tomatoes, and kefir probiotic drink.
• Endorphins may be affected by genetics, chronic stress, and physical pain. You can build your endorphins with spicy foods, chocolate, herbal teas, and energy drinks.
• Omega-3s are the key to building healthy brain cells. Get your omega-3 acids by eating fatty fish, pastured meat, dairy products, walnuts, and flax seeds.
• Zinc/B6 are important nutrients for brain function. Chicken, pork, and beans contain zinc; tuna, turkey, beef, and eggs are all high in vitamin B6.
Check out the government's Medline Plus website for more information on amino acids.
How do you ensure you have all the building blocks in your diet?
What are other considerations?
Stable blood sugar is key to balance, wellbeing, and a positive mood. Consuming protein is essential to achieving blood sugar stabilization. Too much sugar or caffeine in your diet can have a negative effect on your blood sugar.
How do lifestyle factors play a role in happiness?
• Exercise is key. Regular exercise, even for a few minutes a day, is a must for a well-balanced lifestyle.
• Find ways to manage stress or remove stressors from your life. Excessive stress can have a negative impact on your wellbeing.
• Drinking adequate water throughout a day is important to preventing dehydration, which can lead to fatigue and difficulty concentrating.
• Don’t forget the fun! Participate in sports, activities, or hobbies that make you feel good, challenge you, and have a positive effect on your sense of self-worth.
Adopt these building blocks and lifestyle factors, and you and your family will enjoy reaping the benefits of living a happier life!
Live Healthy. Live Smart.