- Looking for calcium? You'll find five times more of it in Chia seeds than in milk.
- Want to add potassium to your diet? You'll get twice as much from Chia seeds than from a banana.
- Trying to boost the omega-3 oils in your diet? While salmon is known as a great source of omega 3s, skip straight to the Chia seed and you'll get eight times as much per serving.
- Hoping to stave off a cold by boosting your vitamin C? It's Chia seeds to the rescue again, loaded as they are with seven times the vitamin C as oranges.
Chia seeds through the ages
One tribe in particular, the Tarahumara people, located in the remote Copper canyons of northwestern Mexico, continue using Chia seeds as a dietary staple today. The significance? The Tarahumara natives are those who were sought by Christopher McDougall, author of the 2011 best-selling book Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen. This tribe is known for its current and ancient history of extreme distance running, practiced by its men, women, and even its children. In Born to Run, McDougall describes the drink mix called iskiate, or Chia Fresca, that they used to sustain them in these long runs, brewed up by dissolving Chia seeds in water, adding a dash of sugar and a little bit of lime juice.
To quote McDougall, "In terms of nutritional content, a tablespoon of Chia is like a smoothie made from salmon, spinach, and human growth hormone … If you had to pick just one desert island food, you couldn't do much better, at least if you are interested in building muscle, lowering cholesterol, and reducing your risk of heart disease."
Scientific evidence of Chia seed benefits
Chia Seed Recipes
- Hearty chia breakfast eggs
- Coconut Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Chia brownies
- Chia tea
- Chia fruit juice Jell-O
- Chia ice pops
- Fruit gel yogurt swirl
- Chia couscous
- Chia coconut pudding
- Quick and easy cauliflower chia soup
- Chilli chia fish cakes
- Chia coffee cream dessert
- Instant chia vegetable broth
- Chia omelet with asparagus
- Italian chia meatballs
- Chia granola
- Chia creamed brown rice
- Chia berry fruit spread
- Speedy crunchy chia breakfast
Any Chia seed side effects and Chia seed risks?
Find out more about Chia seeds
- LiveStrong.org's Chia seeds article lists the top 10 health benefits and some supporting studies.
- Eat right.org's Chia seeds article provides an introduction to its benefits.
- Huffington Post.com provides a detailed article on its benefits.
- About.com provides Chia seeds information with supporting health studies.