What are Common Core Standards?
What are STEM classes and how do they relate to Common Core?
What role do the arts play in today’s classroom?
- Increasing the overall quality of the student
- Boosting the student's aptitude for problem solving, which supports the STEM curriculum
- Improving critical thinking skills
What do you need to know about effective learning?
- Reading new information
- Writing notes regarding what’s discussed
- Seeing the information, such as on a board or computer screen, or in a book
- Hearing the information recited by a teacher or instructor
Studies show the most successful students understand how they best learn new information. With the help of teachers and parents, students can find the tools that make learning most effective and enjoyable.
How can you help with your child’s learning?
- Encourage problem solving and critical thinking at home through games, mind teasers, and exercises.
- Support activities such as art, dance, theater, and other endeavors that encourage creativity.
- Demonstrate the importance of ongoing education yourself by reading, researching, and pursuing other educational endeavors. Children learn best by example.
- Don’t forget to exercise! A recent Swedish study showed that an increase in physical activity led to an improvement in school performance.
What are some STEM programs and activities?
There are many exciting STEM initiatives right now:
- Virtual Environment Interactions (VEnvl): Students control the movement of virtual characters in a video-like setting, blending choreography and computational skills in a learning environment. Check out this study for more information.
- The Children’s Museum of Houston has developed an afterschool program named A'STEAM that provides students with activity kits designed to build Common Core skills. The program has expanded to operate in 16 sites throughout the greater Houston area. You can read more about the program here.
- The Girl Scouts of America conducts the Girls in STEM program, and are helping to promote the STEM curriculum through various badges and activities.
Live Healthy. Live Smart.