What is community service?
Why does community service matter?
• It builds stronger neighborhoods and forms better relationships between residents.
• It places emphasis on the importance of citizenship, service, and responsibility, and serves as an example to younger generations.
How can community service benefit me?• Health benefits (see this study).
• Increased socialization.
• Networking opportunities.
• The chance to learn new skills.
Who participates in community service?
2. Organizations such as the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts.
3. Local and national businesses.
How can I get started?
• Choose something you’d like to learn more about. For example: wildlife, history, or the arts.
• Check out resources such as the Lehigh Valley Health Network for ways to volunteer your time while earning time back through an exchange of services.
Where can I find community service opportunities?
• Become a reading tutor.
• Put your building skills to work by helping to construct a home through Habitat for Humanity.
• Like animals? Get involved at a local shelter or farm. You can work directly with the animals -- feeding, walking, and cuddling – or assist with fundraising, event coordination, or other administrative responsibilities. Check out www.aspca.org for opportunities.
• Are you interested in the arts? Local festivals, theaters, and museums typically have plenty of volunteer opportunities.
Where can I find more information?
Regardless of where you live or how you choose to get involved, community service matters to everyone. Get involved and reap the benefits!
Live Healthy. Live Smart.