Why are experts predicting a bad allergy season?
How is the polar vortex connected to allergies?
1. Extreme cold temperatures, lingering late into the spring, resulted in a delay in the flowering of trees, plants, and flowers.
2. Once temperatures finally warmed up, pollination had to play catch up, causing an abundance of pollen in the air.
3. Pollination of several allergens occurred at the same time this year, causing a mix of allergens for sufferers to battle.
4. Nicknamed the “pollen vortex,” this phenomenon makes for a tough season for allergy sufferers.
5. In addition, the rain that typically falls in the spring combined with already soggy grounds caused by melting snow resulted in excessive dampness and mold. These conditions cause difficulty for allergy and asthma sufferers.
Is there a link between seasonal allergies and certain foods?
• Birch or oak: Avoid carrots, celery, almonds, apples, peaches, and pears
• Grass: Avoid melon, tomatoes, and oranges
• Ragweed: Avoid bananas, cantaloupe, cucumber, zucchini, and chamomile tea
What are the typical signs of allergies?
• Runny nose
• Itchy throat
How are allergies treated?
1. Oral medications and/or decongestants
2. Nasal sprays
3. Allergy shots
How can you help prevent or alleviate allergy symptoms?
• Always wash your hands thoroughly after working outside.
• Remove your shoes before walking indoors on carpeting to avoid spreading pollen and outside debris throughout the house.
• Wipe down any pets that go outside with a warm, wet cloth before allowing them to come back indoors.
• Use a saline solution daily to rinse your nostrils.
• Keep windows closed to prevent allergens from coming indoors.
• Use the air conditioner and air purifier to help control pollutants inside.
Additional hints for allergy sufferers:
*Work at managing stress in your life and maintaining overall good health, which can help your immune system handle allergy symptoms more efficiently.
*Stay informed regarding the newest developments in allergy management.
*Work with your healthcare provider to find solutions for managing allergies.
Despite the prediction of a difficult allergy season, you can take measures to help minimize the effect of allergies on your family members and enjoy a fun-filled season.
Be Wize & Be Healthy