Raw food risks and precautions
- Food poisoning from either consuming foods raw or undercooked that should not be a part of a standard raw food diet, such as fish or meat or from not properly cleaning, preparing, or storing the raw food ingredients
- Potential growth problems for for anyone, but particularly infants and children, on an improperly administered raw food diet
- Consuming foods that are bad for you if eaten raw, such as beans and lentils. That said, an extremely healthy way to prepare lentils on a raw food diet is to sprout them.
Raw food recipes
- Eat a banana, an apple, and a handful or two of raw nuts for breakfast. The fruit starts up your digestive juices and fortifies your immune system with antioxidants. The apple gives you some valuable roughage. And the nuts provide protein, which will help you feel full.
- Make sure your lunch includes a salad with fresh, organic greens.
- For dinner, use raw veggies for the side dish instead of cooked. Good and easy choices include celery sticks, carrot sticks, or sweet peppers.
- While alcohol is generally considered taboo on a raw food diet, if you cannot bear the thought of going without alcoholic beverages, then at least choose wine. Unlike beer or or any hard liquors that go through the heat of distillation, wine is not heated in the processing.
- The FullyRaw Ice Cream Dream - a video demonstration to boot.
- Brownie Cake with Mocha Almond Fudge Cream -- Yes: raw!
- Here's one of my favorites, which my raw food son prepares whenever I'm in town: chocolate éclair bars. This one is amazing; you’ll have trouble believing that it's actually all raw ingredients!
- Raw Chocolate-Cherry Tahini Martini -- Use this one to astound your non-raw-food friends, and maybe even make them converts.
- The Go-To Green Smoothie -- A basic smoothie recipe full of classic, easy-to-find and easy-to-prepare ingredients.
- Toasted Sesame Shredded Brussel Sprout Salad – Tasty and full of protein, thanks to the sunflower seeds and hazelnuts. Take a look at the recipe image and you will be sold.
- Linquine al Pistachio (Pistachio Pesto) -- This can be a nice segue into more complex main dish food preparation, but you'll need one more kitchen appliance for it – a spiral slicer.
If you have a favorite raw food recipe, share! Please submit it, or the link to it, using the comments below.