Why is work-life balance important?
Studies show that work can improve your home life and your home environment can improve your work life. Failure to maintain this delicate balance may result in:
• Loss of productivity at work.
• Lack of interest in activities or hobbies.
What are the signs of burnout?
1. Physical signs: Frequent fatigue, headaches, and change in appetite or sleep patterns.
2. Emotional signs: Include an overall negative feeling about your situation, your life, or your job. Detaching from others, loss of motivation, and feeling defeated in general.
3. Behavioral indicators: Isolating yourself from others, missing work or school, or using a crutch such as food, drugs, or alcohol to cope are all signs of burnout.
For more information on burnout, visit this site.
How can you find work-life balance?
• Set limits. Even if your work life is demanding, don’t allow it to take over your entire life.
• Make time with family and friends. Place importance on relationships and connecting with those around you.
• Spend time engaged in activities you enjoy. As with many work-life balance tips, this one in particular helps recharge your batteries.
• Exercise regularly and get adequate sleep. In addition to being a great stress reliever, exercise helps you keep different aspects of your life in perspective. Sleep is necessary with managing stress and maintaining overall good health.
Benefits of work-life balance:
• Maintaining a healthy balance helps support, improve, and enrich your life.
• Good work-life balance helps increase your productivity, creativity, effort, leadership, and overall contentment at work.
• Individuals with healthy work-life balance report having fun at work.
• Those who maintain balance realize better relationships with family members and friends.
• May result in lower stress levels and overall better health.
What factors can interfere with work-life balance?
• A demanding job.
• The ability to telecommute or have access to information regarding work from home.
• Working weekends and/or nights, when family members are typically home.
• Lack of vacation or free time.
• A constant tie to digital equipment and information.
For more work-life balance tips, visit The Mayo Clinic.
Are your work and life in balance? Check out this quiz at http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/is-your-life-running-you-ragged and see how you score.
Life is demanding, regardless of your job, your family situation, or any other factor. Yet, maintaining work-life balance is crucial to leading a healthy, happy life, for both you and your entire family.
How do you maintain a healthy work-life balance? Feel free to share tips that have worked for you.