|Wheatgrass - a nutrient-dense superfood|
Many people find that wheatgrass gives them a lift … physically, mentally, and emotionally. Why else would those who find it “distasteful” continue its use? The almost instantaneous benefits they feel, of course!
Yes, many people do find the flavor of wheatgrass unpleasant. But, for the record, not everyone finds the juice distasteful; some find it sweet and love the flavor.
No matter what you’re feeling about the taste, if you’ve used it for any length of time, you can’t deny the advantages you receive from taking this nutrient-dense green on a regular basis. For those who haven’t given it a try, let me share with you the wonders of wheatgrass.
Wheatgrass is considered a “Superfood”
No matter what your reason for using it, wheatgrass has something to offer. Here are a few benefits you might find appealing enough to give it a try for yourself.
|Wheatgrass is one of several superfoods that may benefit our health|
- Improves the blood’s ability to transport oxygen during exercise. This effect continues for about 10 minutes after exercise into your post workout recovery.
- The antioxidant values of food are described as the ORAC value. The ORAC value for wheatgrass extract was found to be higher than that of many other vegetables or extracts. Antioxidants remove potentially damaging oxidizing agents in your body.
- Wheatgrass extract absorbs free radicals and inhibits fat cells in rats.
- Wheatgrass juice has been used clinically to treat ulcerative colitis and aid breast cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy.
- Many nutrition counselors use wheatgrass to treat anxiety and depression because the nutrient-dense grasses provide the building blocks to aid your body in producing its own serotonin (a hormone that contributes to your feelings of well-being and happiness).
- Increases red blood cell count and lowers blood pressure.
- Externally applied to the skin can help eliminate itching almost immediately.
- Place a tray of wheatgrass you are growing at the head of your bed. It will release oxygen into the air and generate healthful negative ions to help you sleep more soundly.
- Used as a beauty aid to slow down the aging process when the juice is consumed on a regular basis. Wheatgrass is reported to cleanse your blood and help rejuvenate aging cells, which also slows the aging process. It will help tighten loose and sagging skin.
Nutrient Dense? To be or not to be…
- Vitamins A, C, E, K and B-complex
- Amino Acid
|Wheatgrass is usually consumed in juice form|
What does wheatgrass have over your average vegetable?
Compared to many other vegetables, wheatgrass is like a sponge when it’s growing. When the wheatgrass is grown in nutrient rich organic soil, it will absorb 92 of the known 102 minerals from the soil. The fact that it can pull so many minerals from the soil is the primary reason juiced wheatgrass is so nutrient dense, and is a good reason to make it a part of your daily regimen.
We will talk more in an upcoming article about wheatgrass recipes, as well as how to grow wheatgrass and how to juice wheatgrass. Stay tuned!