What is immunity, and why is it important?
Your immune system, via your lymphatic system, removes toxins from your body, wards off infections, and helps fight illnesses. For more information on the lymphatic system, read our previous blog post on the subject.
Immunity is central to your overall health, as it affects when and how you get sick as well as how quickly you recover. Children, the elderly, people with compromised immune systems, and individuals under stress can benefit the most from immunity boosters; however, a healthy immune system is important to everyone.
What are some healthy living strategies?
- Eat a healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Exercise regularly
- Get adequate sleep
- Do not smoke
How can I boost my immune system?
- Ginger: Consuming ginger may help with colds as well as nausea. Drink ginger tea, or add ginger to cooked dishes for maximum benefits.
- Mushrooms: Shiitake, maitake, and reishi mushrooms are known for their positive effects on your immune system. Add them to soups, salads, and stews for an easy way to incorporate them into your diet.
- Cayenne pepper: This spice contains vitamin C, and may help relieve pain and congestion associated with sinusitis. You can add cayenne pepper to warm water for a therapeutic drink, or season prepared dishes with it.
Additional suggestions for maintaining good health and a healthy immune system:
- Wash your hands, frequently and thoroughly, to combat germs
- Consider taking probiotics. Studies show gut health is at the root of immunity
- Get enough sunlight, or take vitamin D. Check with your healthcare provider to determine if vitamin D is appropriate for you, and in what dosage